Users will find a collection of 223 multilingual glossaries from the several websites of the European Institutions and Agencies. These websites provide reliable terminology which will be available on one page only.
The search can be performed by keyword, language and/or Institution/Agency.
You can also check TermCoord generic glossary database here.
In recent years, cloud-based translation systems have been adopted by many translation agencies to allow their linguistis to work on a shared online platform without worrying of installing applications, spending money on expensive software, etc. Does it really work and is it really worth?
SOME POSITIVE ASPECTS:
- no application to install;
- up-to-date translation software;
- possibility to translate on any device/processor (Mac, smartphones, etc.);
- allow an easier collaboration and sharing of data with other linguists;
- low cost solution;
- include workflow, project management, and portal functions typical of translation desktop systems;
- some available for free or for a small fee (no need to invest a big sum of money, especially for fresh-graduated translation students who want to familiarise with translation technology environment).
I consider these cloud-based systems to be extremly useful, although some there might be some drawbacks, like for istance:
- privacy issues (is it really safe to upload your own TM and/or TB online, even if you have the option of keep it private);
- require constant internt connection (seems impossible nowadays, but you might happen without it for many reasons). Only some cloud-based systems may offer and offline editor too.
Here is a list of some cloud-based systems:
- Wordfast Anywhere
- Google Translator Toolkit
I advice to have a look at the following article by Uwe Muegge available at http://works.bepress.com/uwe_muegge/67/ to gain some more knowledge.
Check the blog later on to futher infos on this topic!
SDL Trados is offering a 25% off on their SDL Trados 2015 Freelance License or 15% off to all upgrade to Studio Freelance 2015.
Take a look at the offial website for further infos!
These offer have been extended until 30th September.
WHAT: Language Live Show
WHERE: Olympia Center, Hammersmith Road, London W14 8UX – UK
16 October 10:00 – 18:00 – 17 October 10:00 – 18:00 – 18 October 10:00 – 16:00
WHY: Language Show Live is Europe’s largest event for languages. It provides the tools, advice and opportunities to help you boost your career and keep up-to-date with this fast-paced industry.
HOW: Registration for free tickets can be made here.
As a member of CIOL (Chartered Institute of Linguistis), I remind you to visit CIOL on Stand 409 and find out about membership and professional language qualifications
DISCOVER A RANGE OF CAREER OPPORTUNITIES FOR LINGUISTS
During the event you will find entire programme of free seminars dedicated to translation, interpreting and teaching as well as other career opportunities for linguists. Highlights include:
• ‘Working as a Lawyer-Linguist at the Translation Service of the Court of Justice of the European Union‘ presented by James Metcalf, European Union
• ‘The sustainable translator: strategies for a successful long-term practice’ presented by Karen Stokes, CIOL
• ‘Teaching, Translation and Interpreting are not the only career options for linguists! Discover a whole range of interesting jobs using languages’ presented by Miranda Reid, Multilingualvacancies
• ‘CVs that get results. A simple, step by step guide with advice on how to present your skills and experience in the best possible way’ presented by Peter Panayotou, The Write Stuff
• ‘A day in the life of a public service interpreter’ presented by Lalia White, NRPSI
All sessions are free to attend and will provide you with practical and inspirational ideas to progress your career.
Check out the full programme here.
ELSEWHERE AT THE EVENT YOU’LL BE ABLE TO:
Meet recruiters who can help you find a job. Meet face-to-face with representatives from Club Med, Frenchtastic, SC Johnson, UK National Europass Centre, PGL Travel and many more organisations
Gain CV advice from experienced consultants at The Write Stuff in the dedicated CV Clinic
Source language products from 160 exhibitors and take advantage of show-only special offers
Try out the latest language technologies at the interactive ‘Tablet Academy Technology Hub
I will meet you there!
I am an English to Italian, German to Italian and Portuguese (PT/BR) to Italian translator based in London, UK.
My educational background includes a BA in English and German – curriculum: Linguistic Expert for Business from Univerisità Cattolica del Sacro Cuore in Milano, Italy with a dissertation on Portuguese language: “Historical and cultural background of Portuguese language”.
In addition I am about to complete my MA in English and German – curriculum: Linguistic Sciences, Terminology and Translation of specialised texts also from Università Cattolica.
Furthermore, I hold a certificate in Translation Technology awarded at UCL in London, UK.
I am continuing my professional development attending another postgraduate course in Translation Technology at London Metropolitan University.
- My area of translation expertise include:
Learn more about Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore’s ranking here.
WHERE: Brussels, Belgium
WHEN: 29-30 October 2015
WHO: This event is for young people, students, emerging translators, mentors and professionals
WHY: The Translating European Forum aims at providing networking opportunities and at learning innovative training methods and projects in the field of translation.
HOW: Registration deadline is 30 September 2015 and can be made here.
I think attending this forum is a great chance of meeting professionals of our field and establish new contacts for future work collaborations. For those who will be able to come, I will meet you there!